Post Study Work Visa in the UK - Reinstated!
On July 1, 2021 the UK Government announced the creation of a new graduate immigration route to continue to retain the best international students post study. The UK Government have decided to reinstate the rights given to international students starting with the graduates of the academic year 2021. The Graduate Immigration Route will give international students up to three (3) years post-graduation to reside and look for work in the UK.
The Graduate route will work for all corners of the UK, ensuring that communities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can benefit from talented individuals who want to stay after their studies.
- Route is for international students who want to work following the successful completion of a course of study at UK bachelor’s degree-level or above.
- Successful applicants will be able to stay and work, or look for work, in the
UK for a maximum period of two years for bachelor’s and Master’s and three years for PhD
- Applicants on the Graduate route will have to pay an application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge The exact fee will be set out in due course
- The route is non-extendable and does not count towards settlement
- Those who graduate and whose leave expires before the route is introduced will not be eligible for it
- What is the new Graduate route?
- It will provide an opportunity for international students who have been awarded their degree to stay and work in the UK at any skill level for two to three years
- Who is eligible for the route?
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate students who completed their degrees are eligible to the post study work visa route.
- Does the Government welcome international students?
- Yes, with no limit on their numbers
- What happens after the two-three year period?
- Those on the post study work visa route will be able to switch onto the skilled work route if they find a job that meets the skill requirement of the route
- Will it be possible to extend after two or three years?
- No, it is a non-extendable.
- Will graduates have to pay the immigration health surcharge?
- Yes, those on the graduate route will need to pay immigration health surcharge.
- Can I get a work visa after study in the UK?
- Students are allowed to find work after completing their degree. Post Study Work Visa holders can move towards a general work visa after successfully finding a job.