About Architectural Association School of Architecture
The Architectural Association School of Architecture is the oldest independent school and one of the most prestigious and competitive schools of architecture in the United Kingdom. The Architectural Association, the pre-cursor to the school, was founded in 1847 by two dissatisfied young architects (Robert Kerr, 24, and Charles Grey, 24), to provide a self-directed, independent education at a time when the profession of architecture had yet to appear in the form recognised today.
The Architectural Association School of Architecture was formally established in 1890. In 1901, it moved premises to the former Royal Architectural Museum. In 1917, it moved again, to its current premises in Bedford Square, central London (it has since acquired additional London premises in John Street and a 350-acre (1.4 km2) site at Hooke Park in Dorset). The school has also acquired property on Morwell Street behind Bedford Square, which it uses as studio space and there are plans for further expansion.